Every year many of us face the same obstacles around the holidays. What do you get the person who can afford to buy herself everything she wants? Or the person who doesn’t really like…well, stuff? I don’t know about you but I find it stressful to waste my hard earned money on something that at best may be re-gifted.
We’re here to let you in on a little fail-safe secret: go for a gift that gives back and you will never have to worry about it’s reception. A generic candle is no longer a cop-out when it’s creation owes to the employment and shelter of homeless, adolescent moms (as is the case with the hand poured candles from Bright Endeavors).
Below are 10 gifts that give back (and we are lucky to call these amazing enterprises clients!)
1. Packed with Purpose: PwP is a gifting company that is embedding Purpose into their gifts that give back. Each Packed with Purpose gift box contains handcrafted products & goodies curated from non-profits and social enterprises that employ people with disabilities & other barriers to the traditional workforce. Purchase directly at: https://shop.
2. Lindy’s & Co: Lindy & Co Gourmet Dog Treats may arguably make the most important dog treats you can purchase! The social enterprise employs homeless youth to produce their line of healthy homemade dog treats – with 100% of the proceeds going towards sheltering street youth. Created by Daybreak – a nonprofit organization that provides emergency shelter, outreach programs, transitional housing, and other vital services to the Dayton, OH homeless and transient youth population.
3. BeeLoveBuzz: Beelove employs formerly incarcerated people work with urban hives to produce its organic honey skincare line. Buy this amazing skincare line directly at: https://beelovebuzz.com/
4. Bright Endeavors: 100% of their hand crafted, sustainable soy candles sales benefit their mission to empower young moms, their kids, and Chicago communities. Check out their gift sets! https://brightendeavors.org/
5. Women’s Bean Project: Women’s Bean puts women with backgrounds ranging from organized crime to histories of incarceration and addiction to work learning gourmet food production. Shop their premium gift baskets for that very special someone on your list! https://www.womensbeanproject.
6. The Mile High WorkShop: MHW is a Denver-based manufacturer and job-training non-profit skilled in wood working, sewing, laser etching, packaging & distribution. Check out their workshop goodies here: https://www.milehighworkshop.
7. Central City Coffee: Look no further than this must-have stocking stuffer! Portland’s Central City Coffee is a social enterprise employing Portland’s most vulnerable – at-risk single mothers – and putting them to work roasting and distributing delicious craft coffees. Order all if it online: https://centralcitycoffee.org/
8. dfrntpigeon: an artsy apparel brand run by Portland’s marginalized youth, order these street art inspired Tees for everyone on your list! http://www.dfrntpigeon.com/
9. Net Effects: Net Effects is a socially responsible accessories brand which is focused on providing trade not aid to disenfranchised women in Cambodia and training them as artisans to produce beautiful, zero-waste bags & totes. All Net Effects bags and totes are constructed from recycled materials including repurposed remnants and end pieces of agricultural and industrial netting! https://neteffectstraders.com/
10. More Than Words: for the book lover on your list, look no further than this social enterprise that hires homeless, at-risk youth and youth in the foster care system aged 16-24 yrs old and trains them to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business selling gently pre-used books both in-store (Boston) and online.